Saturday, December 7, 2013

December 7, 2013

Hit the ice-covered road this AM for the coldest run of my life.  On purpose.  I generally do not run when the landscape is covered with ice; however, the temperature was 9 degrees Fahrenheit (-12 Celsius) with a windchill of -5 (-20 Celsius) and I simply could not resist the challenge.  I layered up like a fiend in the delusional hope that I could stay warm for an hour or so.  Overall, it was a miserable run.  It actually was somewhat amusing until I turned to the North for the 2.5 mile trek back home.  At that point it became painfully obvious that I probably should have waited until the YMCA opened and run on the treadmill.  But I was fighting a stiff Arctic wind three miles from the shack, so the point was moot.  It was so cold that my phone shut down 4.22 miles into the run and over a mile from home.  So, it was actually a 5.5 mile run, but I'm not going to sweat the little things.  I will definitely invest in a full face mask and warmer gloves for future runs in the Siberian cold, as my current get up is not rated for such extreme weather. Taking Sunday off after yesterday's Back and Bi workout and today's adventure.  Monday, depending on the weather, may be an indoor track or treadmill day.

No comments: