Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Week One: Wednesday

It's hard to believe that it's 86 degrees at 4:50 am! Out the door in a few minutes in a futile attempt to beat the heat. Another five on tap for today. As for using the Hal Higdon training method, the most significant change in routine is going to be the Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday run schedule. I have been running since 1998 and have rarely run on back to back days, opting instead to run every other day. My weekly mileage through the years has consistently ranged between 30 and 40 miles. Additionally, I have been relatively injury-free in the last 13 years. A few years ago I stepped off a curb while running in Tegucigalpa and suffered a debilitating high ankle sprain that sidelined me for six months. I undertrained for the 2009 Route 66 Marathon and tweaked my right knee around mile 20. I finished the marathon, but walked with pronounced pain (and a limp) for a couple of weeks. It seems fine now, but at the time I thought I would have to become a swimmer...or a cyclist.

Time: 48:44
Distance: 5.0 miles
9:49 avg. min/mile
Temp: 86 degrees Fahrenheit

No comments: